Wednesday, May 02, 2012

The best hangover ever



When I started writing this blog, I really had no idea where it would take me. And I had no idea that it was going to end up a fairytale. With the most happy ending.

You see, when I got so very sick after that wine tasting last summer, that awful nausea seemed to never go away. After four days of not being able to eat anything but crackers, I decided to take a pregnancy test, even though Mr. I told me not to, as I would just be disappointed again. We had been through that whole circus too many times. Getting your hopes up, and then "BAM!".

Well, guess what! I was pregnant! Or, I was not really sure at first, as the test was this high-tech French one with a text indication, and it read "5-6 semaines enceinte". They surely would not indicate the time if you were NOT pregnant, would they?

The whole pregnancy was a roller coaster of nausea and anxiety attacks, as it was quite difficult to really understand that this was now really happening to us. It may also sound weird to you, but even though I was thrilled to finally be pregnant, I sometimes I could not help but thinking about the child that we would now not be able to adopt. I guess I had already opened up a little spot in my heart for that little one going through the first steps of the adoption process. I have the deepest respect for all the very patient people around the world that has gone through that process, or are in the middle of it. Us, we got it easy, in the end.

The pregnancy itself was a bit over-rated though. I certainly did not feel that "glow" everybody keeps talking about. I was worried and scared a lot of the time. And giving birth? Ouch! I will refrain from going into more detail, as this is a secret we should keep to ourselves - simply to avoid scaring people off and causing humanity to one day become extinct.

Of course, I am now the happiest Mum to walk in two (flat) shoes. Or mostly sneakers. Sometimes I am also the most tired and frustrated one, but people tell me it is going to be like that from now on. Yay! You will NEVER hear me complaining.

And - I had no idea that you could love another creature as much as I love our daughter, even when she wakes me up at night. Or perhaps, especially then. She is now a month old, and the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on. I am being strictly objective here, of course.

And, do you know what? Converse shoes come in baby sizes!

No comments:

Post a Comment