Monday, September 20, 2010

Red-eye blues

My new brown boots. Bought them in Nice this summer, and have been saving them for autumn. From Marina Rinaldi (of course!), but I think they are a bit Ralph Lauren-ish. I love that country-style look. If I could just get my hands on a brown tweed jacket and I would be ready to go hunting. Boom.

You might not be aware of this, but it is actually possible to become jet-lagged by flying domestic. Norway is not a particularly wide country - and (theoretically) we are all in the same time zone (as most of Western Europe). Except me. I am always behind. And - unfortunately - there are mornings when I have to to drag my not-so-bony derriere out of bed a good six hours before my body clock says it is time. To catch a flight. That really does hurt.

I am flying out to Stavanger tomorrow for a full day meeting with a client. I look forward to the meeting. But, I could really do without flying out so early. Or - even flying at all. I know about videoconferencing, yes, but sometimes that just will not do. From time to time you actually need to see people face-to-face. Secretly, I am crossing my fingers that somebody will come up with the technology to teleport people from one place to another very soon. In my case, I would then teleport myself out in the morning. Then I would teleport 90% of my body weight back home in the evening. The remaining 10% I would send to some skinny person that I do not like. Would be a blast. If you know of such a project I would be more than happy to volunteer to be their guinea pig.

Apart from the getting-up-early business, I have a few other objections to flying early:

1) Extremely awake and talkative taxi drivers. I know they have been working for many hours throughout the night, and mostly alone. So they have a right to a social life as well. But - for goodness´ sake - can´t they please just shut the f*** up?

2) Security checks. For some reason, all the individuals (I was very close to calling them another i-word, but that would not be nice) that NEVER fly, gather at the airport really early in the morning. In addition to not being used to the security screening, they are ON VACATION. So there is no need to hurry, you see. They actually seem to be enjoying the whole process, as they try to make the thing last as long as possible. They take FOREVER to get all their stuff ready for security screening, and then have to walk through the body screening thing four times. First time they forgot to remove their keys. Second time it is their cell phone. Third time it is the huge belt-buckle. And on the last attempt they remove all the spare change, a can of soda and their shoes. This guy is the very same guy you will se five minutes later, having a beer. At 6AM. After all, he is on vacation, you know.

I guess we can not really rule out the fact that I might actually be the problem here. I love sleeping. And getting up at 4.30 AM to catch a flight is not really my kind of fun. I am really no good until after 10 AM. Which is a pity, really, as work tends to start before that on most days. Oh, it´s a struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment