Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Human ATM


My Alex espadrille wedge sandals from Stuart Weitzman. Most probably the only thing Jennifer Aniston and I will EVER have in common. Unfortunately for me, fortunately for her. I guess. I totally fell in love with these online just after Christmas. Then I waited TWO long months before I ordered them - as part of my new year's resolution not to buy more shoes. I just love them. They make me tall. And they make my very short legs look better in shorts. On the negative side, they are not shoes you could run a marathon in, but why would you? (As if I would ever do that in ANY shoes - and remind me of that when I turn 40, please).

Owning a house is very expensive. I am learning that the hard way. And, getting used to the monetary system of a new country is frightening. Very scary, indeed. A couple of weeks back, I received the very first sign that I am now OFFICIALLY an adult. I got my very first check-book. Yup. We stopped using that in Norway about 15 years ago. But the French still cling to this. So, armed with my check-book, and a bank account filled up with fresh oil-money from Norway I felt prepared for whatever might hit me.

What I didn't expect was that most people that come to work on your house do prefer CASH. And loads of cash. So I am now on first-name terms with the clerk at my local bank. Where I turn up every morning to get my cash. I simply feel naked without 2000 EUR in my secret drawer. As you never know when you might need money for a new toilet. Or an electrician.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment