Saturday, March 26, 2011

Winterurlaub



My ski boots. Must be more than ten years old, but I hang on to them as they are the kind that adjust to your feet after a while, so they are kinda comfortable. To the extent that ski boots could ever be comfortable, that is. I just bought a new pair of skis, and there are matching boots available for those. So I am afraid these old faithfuls will not see the end of this skiing season.

Time to brush the dust off my German language skills again. Among the many stupid mistakes I have made in my life, studying German throughout business school must have been among the biggest ones. I truly suck at it. So, my dear husband, who also made the same stupid mistake back in business school, never misses a chance to make fun of my less than laudable oral German grade. Getting a grade 3 on a scale that goes all the way up to NINE is not my proudest achievement, no. Funny though, that I am the one speaking German to the locals here, while Mr. Incredible (who got a five) sticks to English. Could be the glühwein giving me the courage, I don't know.

I once heard that "you take your wife to St. Anton, and your mistress to St. Christoph". Yesterday Mr. Incredible took me to St. Christoph for lunch, so that must mean that I fall into both categories. I do believe this must surely be a good thing, right?

Austria is perhaps not known as the gourmet country of Europe (Mozartkugeln, anyone?), but it works for me. And there is nothing like getting some "knödel" every now and then. They also make amazing "schnitzel", not to be confused with this terrible frozen version served anywhere else in the world. Apparently the tuna season is on in the alps at the moment, as tuna seem to be included in any meal. And lobster. Apart from tasting delicious, as lobster always does, I have FINALLY found a word in German that is a "keeper". No more boring "lobster tail" here, from now on and in there will be "hummerscwhanz" all the way. Bitte sehr.



Location:Arlbergstraße,Sankt Anton am Arlberg,Austria

No comments:

Post a Comment