Friday, August 06, 2010

Love me tender


The plan was to go to Capri today. Or as some call it, Capriiiii. Unfortunately, the island of Capri is one of the few places whre the ship is not allowed to use its own tender service when at anchor. In Capri, they have a local guy named Flavio and a guy named Salvatore that runs the tender service. A duopoly. On this particular day, they did not really feel like working. So, they got up, saw that the weather was perfect for a day off, and decided that the waves were to high to run the tender.

So, our options were to stay on the ship, or take the Seadream tender ashore to Sorrento, and then the ferry over to Capri. As last night turned out to be quite a party, I made an unconscious decision to stay in the cabin until lunchtime. Bad judgment. When someone turns up at breakfast without his or her spouse, all the stewards immediately know that there is someone downstairs with a bit of a hangover. So when you finaly manage to drag yourself out of bed, they make fun of you for the rest of the day. "Just ginger ale today, maam? No champagne?" Or - in this particular case - absinthe. You may wonder what on earth made me try absinthe on a ship were I could have as much champagne as I wanted. Beats me too. I just sometimes get these really moronic ideas.

Luckily for me, Flavio and Salvatore over in Capri actually had something going for them on this day. The swells were increasing throughout the day, and as the waves were shaking the ship throughout the afternoon, I converted my previous hangover to seasickness, which is so much more ladylike. It's a sign that you are a bit faint at heart, a true lady. AND when you are seasick everybody feels sorry for you. Whole different story altogether.

Lunch consisted of three french fries, two ginger ale. After a seasickness pill from the concierge and another long nap - I managed to drag myself into the shower and give myself a makeover, so that at least when looking in the mirror, I could fool myself into thinking that I was ok. Being a bit of a foodie, you cannot keep me out of the dining room on the night of the "Menu Degustation". My body actually responded very well to being fed small tasting-size pieces of gourmet fare. I also enjoyed being served more ginger ale by a younger version of Pierce Brosnan. The weather also got better, which of course added to the instant healing process.

Hit the blackjack table after dinner. There is a saying about how people have luck in either games or love. I am definitely in the latter category. Still, does not keep me from playing. I am not sure if it's good thing, but my husband tends to win back almost the same amount that I loose. Money wise that is good, but does that mean that he does not have the same luck in love as I do? Hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment