Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The grand re-opening

These were the first really, really expensive shoes I bought - for our wedding. They were in fact more expensive than my gown. A wise decision, as the shoes still fit. The shoes are handmade in a cute little shop in Notting Hill, London. AND there is a tiny matching handbag. Not so practical, as it can only carry two credit cards, a lipstick and a (small) tampon. Yesterday I carried my iphone in it, but even though I skipped the other items - I was not able to lock it. It IS cute though. I now wear the shoes once a year, on our anniversary. I think maybe wearing the gown would be a bit over-the-top. Not that it fits me any longer anyway. Like most married women, I no longer look anything like the "sales package" presented pre-marriage. Back then I even ironed his shirts, can you imagine?

Anyway. We are a couple with many traditions. You tend to develop quite a few when you have been together for so long. On our very first (wedding) anniversary, my husband took me to Theatercafeen for lunch. We actually had such a good time that we decided to stay there for dinner as well. After that we have downsized it to just dinner. This summer, the place has been closed for renovations. We could not talk them into re-opening on Saturday, on the actual day, but since the re-opening was just two days after, we figured it would be ok. It was worth the wait. We were quite curious about the changes, but the interior was only freshened up a bit. The big difference was the food. Although the classics on the menu have been kept, the food was generally so much better. So the kitchen upgrade paid off.

Of course it was also fun watching the celebrities that are regulars. "Everybody" was there for opening night. The close to a hundred year old theatre diva. Even the Forbes-500-guy that feels sick because of the Norwegian shipping regulations. He looked like he was going to survive, even when the evening television news kept stalking him outside the restaurant window.


No comments:

Post a Comment