Friday, August 13, 2010

That´s amore


The last day of our vacation. Woke up with a man with a cold. Serious. Cut my losses and went into town on my own. Were planning on joining the "Chef´s walk" last week, so would not miss it this week. Wise decision. We have been to Sorrento quite a few times. Normally we end up having a drink or five in a nice cafe in Piazza Tasso. Where they serve THE best tiramisu. (Oh, why do I always crave food that is not good for me?) Normally I take a little stroll browsing the shops in Corso Italia, but I have never really found anything special. Running parallel to Corso Italia is the Via San Cesareo, the pedestrian street. I have never really walked down this street, as it seemed to be just a tourist trap with its Italian flag banners and souvenir shops. Big mistake. The chef took us walking down this street, and in between all the souvenir shops he showed us several really interesting places. This chef is very special. He is extremely enthusiastic about his job. And you can tell from the food he makes, it is just extraordinary. Amazing guy.

First stop was a lemoncello tasting. I know it is only ten in the morning, but when the owner looks like Pavarotti, and you are served five different types of lemoncello, the best being the meloncello - you can not help joining in when the whole group joins in on the chorus of "Volare".

Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh
Nel blu dipinto di blu
Felice di stare lassu

Next - more lemoncello. Then - we go to a small deli, to taste ham and cheese. Before the chef treats us all to coffee in an old cafe. They serve THE best cappuccino, and the owner flirts with all the women in the group - very Italian. Then another interesting place - end up buying a bottle of the excellent grappa my male family members had as a digestif in Capri. Good present for husband. And some tartufo for my scrambled eggs back home. Then - chef treats us all to gelato at Bougainvillea on Corso Italia. 80 types of gelato. Mmmm.

Walk back to the port on my own. Discover that the place that makes the beautiful sandals in Positano has an even bigger shop in Sorrento. Have 2 pairs made to measure. Buy my mother-in-law an apron with her name embroidered on it. Find an Italian soccer shirt with shorts for my nephew. And - finally - discover my favourite tennis shoes (Superga) in bright pink. Tells me that if they have my size, it´s my destiny to buy them. Of course they have.

Climbing down the stairs from Piazza Tasso to the port I can´t get rid of this song playing in my head. I think I might be turning Italian.

When the moon hits you eye like a big pizza pie - that's amore
When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine - that's amore

No comments:

Post a Comment