Monday, August 09, 2010

Is this whole island surrounded by water?


Spent the morning cruising the Maddalena Strait over to Sardinia. Great view from my Balinese Dreambed up on deck six. My dear husband was a bit under the weather after running the entertainment onboard the night before. Karaoke. Bruce Springsteen. Why is it that I am always sound asleep when he does these things? I wish I had been there.

Went ashore in Porto Rotondo in the afternoon. Perfectly nice and clean little village surrounded by holiday houses, but truly a place with no soul. The main piazza was in fact a parking lot lined with overpriced boutiques - selling huge, shiny things. If you have a taste similar to newly rich Russians, this is the place to go shopping. You could get a huge golden monkey to put around your neck, as well as golden Ugg boots and red and pink fur jackets. Match that with hotpants, and you are ready to go. Who on earth goes shopping for FUR in the height of summer?!

By the way, there is siesta from 1300 to 1730. A very sleepy place. To quote Monty Python again: "there is absoluuutely nothing to see here".

The evening was much better. Dinner with the captain - again. I can totally get used to doing this on Monday nights. Very entertaining, and got to hear some funny stories about life at sea. Also learnt that the yacht has been chartered for a private trip the upcoming week. Ivana Trump and friends. I guess there will be people onboard next week with a lot better shoes than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment