Thursday, August 12, 2010

Funiculì, Funiculà - the island of luuuuv

My all time favorite summer shoes. The third pair. White shoes are a pain. I picked up this last pair in Vieux-Antibes this summer. The old ones had to go to shoe heaven after serving me well for years.

I know. This song is not about the funicular in Capri. But still the song always reminds me of Capri. There is another song that is about Capri, but I don´t like that one. It´s to cheesy. And there are enough cheesy stuff in Capri as is.

We got up early again, after just a few hours of sleep due to the not-so-successful night out on deck. This week, Flavio and Salvatore decided that it was ok to take their tenders out - so we were picked up by one of them for a tour from Marina Grande, where the yacht was anchored, over to the other side of the island - to the famous Faraglioni rocks. The boat took us through the rock, and you are supposed to kiss the person next to you and make a wish as you pass through it. My husband and I really went at it. Twice. We will see at some stage how that worked out. Afterwards, we were driven up to Anacapri in these great taxi convertibles for a tour on the chairlift up to Mount Solaro. Being above average afraid of heights, this was a bit of a challenge. At least I managed not to scream out loud, I just roared on the inside.

The love of my life had reserved a table for lunch at one of the best restaurants in Capri Town. Unfortunately, we had both managed to leave our wallets on the yacht. As we were carrying very little cash, and I was hoping to browse some of the designer stores in town after lunch (very secret plan), this was a disaster. To save the day, I went on the funicular down to the port, tender back to ship and straight in again. Took me a good hour. I met some awfully nice fellow passengers from Boston that offered to lend me money to pay for lunch, but with my undercover plan in mind - it just would not do. I needed some serious plastic on this occasion. To get back up into town I hired my own convertible taxi. Felt like a queen. I think. Not that I know how a queen feels.

Lunch at "Da Giorgio" was excellent. Great view. Delicious food. No-carb diet about to go down the drain - at least for a while - now, as I love pasta. Wild strawberries (the real tiny ones) for dessert.

Left the others to go shopping. Fell in love with a bag from Prada. Just when I was about to take the funicular back to the port - because I thought the thing was too expensive - husband shows up and takes me back into shop and buys me a bag. Not the one I had been coveting minutes before, but a bigger one. One that can even carry my work laptop. Sometimes he is just too good. This really is the island of luuuuv.

Just for the record - my wish under the Faraglioni rock was not for a new handbag. It was far less materialistic. Hope it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment