Sunday, December 05, 2010

Ending on a high note



Kandahar boots, from Switzerland. Ugly. Really ugly. But - they keep my feet warm. These days, that is of utter importance. Have been down with a terrible cold for a week now. Should have stayed under the sheets for at least three days this week, but things are just too busy at the moment. Instead, I force down my Lemsip* (yuk), wear horrid shoes - and drag myself to work. Such a martyr, I know.

Parents and in-laws visiting this weekend, for our yearly pre-christmas family get-together. Dinner at Frognerseteren on Friday night. Sheep and (not so cheap) champagne. Desperate Christmas shopping on Saturday morning. Followed by Danish (again!) Christmas lunch at Statholderens Krostue. 

The tram ride to the restaurant was quite memorable. Being a bit of a working class hero, it was a big moment for me when I got to give our former prime minister, The Mother of Our Great Country, The Labour Queen a.k.a. Mrs. Brundtland, instructions on which tram line to take. I must add that this was not the first time in the history of our family that we have had a close encounter with a Norwegian prime minister. My grandfather grew up with the former Prime Minister Nordli, and used to kick his honorable ass on a regular basis. Apparently the PM was a real wimp as a child. But being bullied as a child helps build character, just look how far that got him as an adult. Partly - thanks to my grandfather.

Lunch was great. And followed by a bottle of even greater 1977 vintage port. Still, the highlight of the day was the A-ha concert at Oslo Spektrum. The very last one. Ever. I had a moment there struggling to hold my tears back. And- after 25 years - Paal Waaktaar finally spoke.

We are talking about some of the major heroes of my youth here. These three guys showed us all what you can achieve in spite of being born under a rock in a cold country far up north. So, it is not just about the music. They are our very own rock stars. Very well behaved rock stars, but still. Fortunately, I do not think this is the last we have heard - or seen - from these three. Surely - there will be new musical projects in the years to come. And art - by the adorable Mags.

Funny thing how you tend to bump into people you never see elsewhere on occasions like this. In the row behind me was a former colleague I haven't seen in 10 years. In the row ahead of me was another former colleague. And - one seat to my right: The Norwegian Minister of Justice. Mr. Storberget. His body guard was seated between us. With my sister-in-law being a lawyer, I figured I should ask the minister if he would be willing to pose in a photo with me. Would be great christmas greeting for her, wouldn't it? So, I turned to the very serious-looking (and quite good-looking, If I may say so) body guard next to me. He did not speak Norwegian. Weird, but maybe they use some international body guard company. Anyway, he assured me "the photo will definitely happen". Yay!

So. This is how it turned out that I now have a photo of me and the Norwegian Minister of Justice on my iPhone. The photo is taken by the guy that turned out NOT to be a body guard. He is - in fact - The Russian Minister of Justice. Mr. Alexandr Konovalov. Oops.


No comments:

Post a Comment