Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Mile High Club




Ha. Got your attention there, didn't I? Moahaha. You filthy pig. Well. Hate to disappoint you, but flying is not that "romantic". Really.

Departed from Oslo at 5 AM, arrived at our destination 23 hours later. With all of our luggage. Not bad.

Flying is kinda boring. But somehow, I never have any problems getting the time to pass. Oslo - Stockholm was easy. We were even upgraded to Economy Extra. Then the long haul. From Stockholm to "The Windy City", Chicago. The city named after the band. A nine hour flight. Plenty of time to update blog, catch up on what is happening on the silver screen and start a new book. And by any means, NOT sleep. Need. To. Stay. Awake. I normally do not struggle so much with jet lag, but still it is wise to stay awake on daytime flights.

Well. I surely am a girl full of good intentions. Even though you might think otherwise of me. We got upgraded again. To business. Which I haven't flown in ten years. Cool. So, the trip was more like this:

Stockholm/boarding: A glass of champagne? Yes, please!

Stockholm - Trondheim: Get familiar with all the funny buttons and gadgets in your seat. Once properly reclined, spend time looking out window on winter landscape.

Trondheim: Second glass of champagne.

Trondheim - Reykjavik: Food extravaganza, including whitefish roe, beef Bourgogne, cheese platter and two desserts. The latter thanks to husband catering to my every whim. He - very observantly - saw the looks I sent the sorbet selection after already getting a solid helping of chocolate cake. All of the above accompanied by wine.

Reykjavik: Yours truly reclines further. And - the inevitable happens. I pass out. Completely.

Somewhere over Canada: Wakes up. Shit! Not enough time left to watch BOTH of the movies I planned to see. Start seeing "Salt", starring the less interesting half of Brangelina. Bad choice. Watching a movie that mostly goes on in the dark is not easy on an inflight screen. So. I know that there was a lot of fighting. And got most of the story, by listening to the dialogue. But I still do not know who the REAL villain was, as....

Lake Ontario: Crayfish and roast beef sandwich.

All of a sudden we landed in Chicago. Funny how time flies in business class. I guess the morale is that you live longer if you fly monkey class. At least it feels that way.

A proof we got when we had to endure four hours from Chicago to our final destination in the class originally booked. Funny how easily you get used to life on the sunny side. Sitting behind the curtain for four hours felt like four DAYS. Managed to stay awake on this stretch playing Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit on iPad for four hours straight. Painfully boring. Score ended with a draw for the trivia, while husbands business skills, or my extensive shopping obsession (bought all the streets I landed on) sent me straight into bankruptcy.

Our luck turned when checking into hotel. We got upgraded to the Honeymoon Suite. Lovely. And - huge. As in most honeymoon suites, the bed is really squeaky, and when you move around, the headboard bangs into the wall, making a nice thumping sound for the neighbors to hear. Cute touch.

Less cute is the fact that it is located two floors up from the salsa bar. Which announces daily live performances. Loud performances. Until 2 AM. Very exotic. Especially since the band starts rehearsals again at 7 AM.

Still, I slept like a log.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



No comments:

Post a Comment