Monday, October 04, 2010

Goosebumps galore


I am almost speechless. Well, just almost. What a night! We started off with an extensive tapas massacre at San Leandro. If you need any hints on how to wolf down 12 tapas dishes between two people in about 40 minutes, you are indeed welcome to come by our house for dinner. Any time. When we are hungry, we eat. Simple as that. And I love their food.

Time for charity event at Oslo Concert Hall. Starring A-ha. Which was the third time I saw them over the last 12 months. (But not last, oh no!) The invitation announced that they would be playing their very first album "Hunting high and low" - unplugged. Which made me a bit curious as to what Mags would be doing on stage. Without his synthesizer he would be a bit - sort of - NAKED? (Oh, I wish!)

Well, it turned out the invitation was not really that accurate. What we got was A-ha - WITH the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra. Acoustic? Well, not really. Only - a lot better! From the first sound of "Take on me" I was in heaven. With complimentary goose bumps. Wow! Apparently some people were even worse off than me. The woman in the seat behind me was screaming like an animal between each song (good thing she managed to shut up during the songs). I think she might have had "a little accident" in her seat there.

It was all perfect. The sound was great. Morten looked his best as always, I guess all that eco-food and all of those colonic washouts are paying off. Good for him. And genius Paal stood there looking like our old Norwegian childrens TV hero "Titten Tei"* with a tiny smile on his face ("Oh, finally. A philharmonic orchestra playing MY songs. Way cool, huh?"). And then my favorite - Mags. In a really great suit. I normally have a thing for the base player of any band (might be a result of my Duran Duran hang-up in the eighties), but this not the case with A-ha. Must be since they do not have a permanent base player.

After about forty minutes, there was a break. Which most of us found a bit strange, because the band had really played all of their first album by then. Now what? As a surprise dessert, we got their second album, "Scoundrel days". Not bad.

By the time they were done, my jaws were aching from all the smiling. I have been to quite a few concerts in my time, and this made it straight to my Top 3 list. Loved it. And - we were seated in the same row as Her Majesty. The Queen. Not a real fan of royalty, so to me it feels great to see them seated among their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment