Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Feliz Navidad


I am completely aware of the fact that the calendar tells us that is is still just OCTOBER. But - my inner child just loves Christmas. And - a very important part of my Christmas celebration is the "Julebrus". This is a very special kind of soda that is produced just for Christmas. All parts of Norway have their own local brand. I am, however, lucky enough to come from the part of Norway that has THE BEST Julebrus. Today I stopped by the grocery store to buy some asparagus (!), and - BEHOLD - there was a whole pallet of my hometown JULEBRUS. Right in front of me!

I take it the shop assistant thought I had lost it. Right there on the spot. Literally jumping with joy, and taking a photo of her soda. Which I sent to my dear Dad by MMS immediately, as the annual Julebrus launch is a very big thing for me. Most grown-ups are more interested in the Juleøl (beer) launch. I don´t care too much about that. On Christmas Eve, I drink Julebrus with my dinner. And not the very strong Juleøl mixed with the fatal aquavit. (I have learnt my lesson with aquavit. I never remember having the second glass, so then I figure that there is not really a big point in me drinking it.)

I know it is early, but I think this calls for a small celebration. In combination with my Julebrus, I prepared a peculiar little snack we call a "læfsbuss". Which is a kind of potato tortilla. Filled with just about any sort of meat. The most "Christmassy" filling is, however, the "Sylte", and some strong mustard. Sylte is a kind of pressed ham that people used to make out of the yucky bits left over from when they slaughtered a pig for Christmas. Today it is made of normal pork meat (with just a few yucky bits thrown in for texture/taste). Yum.

I have now finished my first bottle of the magnificent Julebrus - with two pieces of Læfsbuss, and the conclusion is - I am still a child. The first Christmas I celebrated with my in-laws, I sent a huge box containing 12 bottles of my Julebrus IN THE MAIL to my father-in-law. Just in case. For me it simply would not be Christmas without it. Even the smell of it is special!

Which brings me to this huge dilemma I have. We are celebrating Christmas in the Caribbean this year. Of, course, I really look forward to that.  But I doubt that I will be able to get my hands on any of my dear-old Julebrus over there. And I am not sure that I trust the American customs officers to leave my bottles alone if I fill up my suitcase with them either. They might find them suspicious. So, what should I do?

I am considering contacting the cruise line. Maybe I will be able to ship some to them in advance. The second option is splitting one bottle into three 100 ml bottles and carrying it together with my hand luggage toiletries. I am truly desperate here. It just won´t be Christmas without it.





No comments:

Post a Comment