Friday, October 15, 2010

Groundhog day (the movie)


Time for handball practice. Which requires special shoes, of course. Since my back has not been so cooperative this last month, today is my first practice this season. If Monday´s session at the gym was painful, this will be worse. I am a goal keeper. A fact that I guess will confirm, once again, that I am partly insane. Who would voluntarily try to get hit by a ball?! I started playing when I was ten. After two years I was asked to be a goalie. Simply because I have never been one to run very fast.

When I got to business school, I just quit. To make it to the school team you had to be either a really good player (not me), be one of the "popular girls" that could attract a crowd (yeah, right!) - or have a rich dad (I have the world´s best dad, but that did not count). So, I gave up. Tried playing for a local team for a while, but most of the players were more focused on being able to smoke as many cigarettes as possible during the break. And instead of warming up beforehand, they spent the time shaving their legs.

Eleven years after - I picked it up again. Now I am an Old Girl. Officially. Playing with a great bunch of other officially Old Girls. We even win a match from time to time.

Being repeatedly hit by a ball will be the perfect end to this perfect day. You will not believe how painful it is when you haven´t been hit by a ball in months. It takes a while to get used to it again. That´s the trick. But after a day like this it really does not matter. You see, I have been in public transportation hell.

Started off nicely by missing the bus by ten meters at a quarter to seven - IN THE MORNING. Breakfast with close friend at a forbidden carb-ridden place (bakery!). I gave in and had a cinnamon roll. Sorry.

Then I managed to get on THE WRONG BUS on the way from breakfast to client. You know that weird feeling you get when the bus suddenly turns in a place it was not supposed to? Hate that.

You think this was the end of it? Ha. Think again. Got on the tram to get to christmas party planning meeting after work. Pushed the button for tram to stop, but it did not. Until the NEXT STOP, that is. Which was miles away (not literally, but in today´s work shoes it was). SEVEN minutes to wait for the return one. Because, I just missed that one too.

In the end it felt like I was in a movie. Where things just happened to repeat itself. Again and again. 

You can all come out now, I know that I am on candid camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment