Thursday, December 23, 2010

The fat virgin


Another new pair of sandals purchased for Christmas. Part of the big Tory Burch pre-cruise shipment from Nordstroms. Still getting blisters as my feet are not yet getting used to wearing sandals at this of year. But I guess I will survive. After all, it is a lot better than wearing heavy winter boots and woolen socks.

The plan was to visit Anguilla today. But the weather at this time of year can be quite unpredictable. El Nino is causing three meter high swells in Anguilla, so I am very happy the captain changed the itinerary to avoid the bad weather. Which is just one of the many advantages of being on a yacht instead of a regular cruise ship.


Speaking of which. Dear Wind Surf/Spirit. Please, please, will you stop appearing in my port hole every morning. I know we used to be very close friends for nine years and thirteen cruises, but it is over now. Really. I travel with Seadream now, and I am not coming back. You surely are beautiful ships, but you cannot live on your good looks forever, you know. You never came up with any new itineraries, so no wonder we started looking at other ships. And now that I have gotten used to not having to sign checks and add tips for every two-dollar can of diet coke I buy, there is no turning back. You know that. You also know that I feel a little pang of guilt when you keep turning up every morning. We surely have had a lot of fun together. I will never forget that. But - go away now, will you. Shush!


Virging Gorda, or the "fat virgin". Quite a funny name for an island. Apparently, she was named by some Spanish sailors that thought the island looked like a naked woman lying down. We really tried giving it our best at breakfast today, but we simply do not see what those sailors saw. I guess they had been at sea for a while, and hadn't really seen a woman at all in quite a while. Otherwise you would not simply look at an island and go "Heeeeey! Boooooobs!" Men are simple creatures, but that would be taking it a bit too far. Perhaps they had a taste of some "local tobacco" to help their imagination, without going into further detail.

We are anchored in the North Sound, right outside the Bitter End Yacht Club. Really nice and relaxing place. And - most importantly - very calm water. Ever tried sleeping on your side during rough seas? Challenging.

Time for cocktail party for alumni passengers. More champagne, and - even better - CAVIAR buffet. Including proper blinis and the works. I guess I do not have to tell you, I just LOVE that stuff. Delightfully decadent.

I could definitely get used to living like this. Beating the current alumni record of 381 days on board should be a blast. I hereby volunteer to take on that "job".

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment