Sunday, December 26, 2010

Hooters


Boxing Day. Disembarkation in St. Thomas. The cruise is over. Sad? Not really. As we are staying on for another week. Ha. Love doing back-to-back cruises, as it really takes a few days to totally unwind and settle properly on the ship.

My first time in St. Thomas. This used to be a Danish colony. So I was expecting open sandwiches and schnapps on every street corner. Nope. Although there are still signs of the Danish rule on the island, with the capital called Charlotte Amalie, the rest is very Caribbean. Except one thing. They have a ski lift on the island! A gondola that goes from the main cruise port to a place called Paradise Peak.

Of course. I just knew it. I actually FELT it this morning. There had to be a ski lift around. Being a Norwegian, I have a thing for ski lifts. If there is one, I have to be on it. So, off we went. In a super-taxi. There are so many taxis on this island, they need to do something to differentiate themselves, I guess. I did not really get what was so suuuper about it, though. Apart from the driver's collection of wunderbaum, perhaps.

Anyway. We got on the gondola. And enjoyed the magnificent view from the top. We could see our tiny little ship docked next to a monster ship in the distance. Cool.


At the top there was a bar specializing in frozen drinks. They had them all ready on tap! And - I got acquainted with a new drink. The Bushwacker. A frozen drink with Baileys. Caused some serious "brain freeze". Or, maybe just "freeze". After all, I am a blonde. And we are not really famous for our brain capacity.


After our sky ride, we went to the nearby shopping mall. Which had a huge shoe outlet. Oh, the terror! It was closed! So, to make at least one person in the family happy, I took husband for his first ever visit to Hooters. It is so tacky I just find it hilarious. The visit had very much the expected effect, and he soon had a huge grin on his face. And i guess that was not just because of the local beer. Yep. Then, when an exquisite selection from the Virgin Islands Fire Brigade suddenly arrived to have a late lunch, I was smiling too. I do not know what the thing is with some men in uniforms. But it totally works.


Before we left, I got my dear husband some really classy t-shirts from the Hooters shop:

"St. Thomas - Hooters of the Caribbean" (pirate style logo)
"Hooters Drinking Team, St. Thomas"

He has promised not to wear them on the yacht. But I will not be very surprised if he does.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Crown Bay, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment