Sunday, February 20, 2011

The mother of all shopping lists


Buying the house yesterday was a pretty big shopping decision. After we got back to the hotel after our excursion to Nice last night, we sat down by the hotel bar and had a few glasses of champagne to celebrate. Since I had been driving, we had not had the chance to do that earlier. We then located the house on Google Earth. Just to make sure that it really existed. It was quite easy to spot, though, as the previous owner has already moved out, so we have the only empty swimming pool in our neighborhood. Well, "empty" apart from leaves, algae and rain water, that is.


In total - Saturday was quite exhausting, and I think we fell asleep as our heads hit the pillows. And when you sleep heavily, you tend to dream....... 

Waking up on Sunday morning, we instantly exchanged previous night's dreams. No surprise, we had both been dreaming about the newly acquired house. The outlines of our dreams were, however, quite different:

My version:
The whole dream evolved around decorating the house and shopping for furniture with my aunt (who is an interior designer). A lot of focus on the fabulous Louis Ghost chair from Kartell.

Husband's version:
The dream started with the house becoming terribly expensive. Mister Incredible was - in fact - R-U-I-N-E-D. In the end he had to rob a bank (!) to pay for everything. What a nightmare!

You could say that our dreams provide a quite good picture of our personalities. I am always very optimistic about everything. This might sometimes be verging on unrealistic, but it also means that I am generally quite happy. My husband - on the other hand - is "The King of Pessimism". "Murphy's law" is his mantra. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I guess the two of us being together is a perfect example of "yin/yang". Two complementary universal forces we are. Indeed.

I picked up a stack of interior magazines from the airport in Nice on my way home. Filling an empty house in time for our summer vacation is quite a challenge, even for a black belt shopper like me. I have already started researching garden furniture, which is at the top of my list - together with beds. That is really all I think we need to start with. My shopping-averse husband really wants a TV (including a Norwegian satellite dish) and a sofa, too. The cutlery we will have to get back to. Not having any would be the perfect excuse for eating out all the time, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment