Monday, February 07, 2011

Thanks


New shoes! From Danish brand Stylesnob. And. The best thing? They were on sale - at 60% off! Result of accidentally dropping by nice little shop in Grünerløkka after forbidden/carb-ridden pizza date with my sister. Oh, the decadence. PIZZA - AND SHOES! 

Buying suede ballet flats in February is a pretty blonde thing to do, I know. Fortunately, I was able to wear these at my birthday lunch this weekend. The only way I get to wear cute shoes at this time of year is to ask people over. As - when I am invited somewhere, I always forget to bring shoes to wear inside. Unbelievable, but true. 

I so miss being able to wear nice shoes. After returning from our vacation, I have been wading around in some ugly boots, as the icy sidewalks of Oslo are straight out FATAL. Should you actually make it anywhere without falling, you still risk death by icicles falling from the rooftops. No wonder Norwegians might seem odd and unfriendly. We are too busy staring at the sidewalk/up in the air for falling objects to be outgoing. It is all a matter of survival.

I am very ready for spring now. I know how only last week I was whining about time flying, but if we could just fast forward to April, and then maybe go verrrry slow motion from there till September? 

Please?

I was talking to one of my lovely colleagues today about how this weekend we could almost feel spring in the air. Yup. As if. It took a good hour after our little chat, before SPRING (in the air) was replaced by SNOW (everywhere). Although our female intuition seemed to misinterpret the signs of nature at that time, at least there are some signs that spring is really coming. Eventually. The first actual sign of spring in Norway is receiving your documentation for last year's TAX RETURN. Some wise guy once said that there are only two certain things in life. Death and taxes. So true.

Weeks (or sometimes - months) before this yearly milestone you receive all the relevant documentation in the mail. Including the receipts from the charitable organizations that you have found worthy of any financial support over the last year. This summary of payments is always accompanied by a little note saying THANK YOU. 

This is nice.
It makes you feel that you have done something good. 
Something right. 
For once.

Then - you turn the sheet, and there is a letter.
Asking for MORE MONEY.
And they don't even say "please".

WHAT?!

Couldn't these people let me feel a bit good about myself for a few days at least? And not ruin it all immediately by trying to make me feel guilty about not giving EVEN MORE? I know I am not exactly the reincarnation of Mother Theresa. Who I by the way do not think would be reincarnated, as she was such a good person, and reincarnation - I believe - is considered to be some sort of punishment. Anyway. I would be more than happy to pay for the additional postage for that extra letter, I would.

Is this a new trend? Perhaps I should be sending out thank-you notes after last week's birthday saying "thank you", and "I loved the gift you got me - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEND ME ANOTHER ONE"?

I know it's not the entirely same setting. But - still.

No comments:

Post a Comment