Saturday, April 23, 2011

Welcome to the mountain


My cross-country ski boots. From last century, but as I am not much of a cross-country skier, these will NEVER be worn out. I promise.

We are now at "Væktarhaugan" (is tempting to translate this into "Weight Watcher's Hills" as I tend to eat far too much candy at this place). The cabin is located three kilometres from the nearest village, and the road is closed during the winter. Some people ski here, but we pay one of the locals to take us up on his snowmobile. (I skied up the first two years, so I have proved that I can. Which is quite important, as you do not want the people in the other cabins to talk about the lazy daughter-in-law who does not ski. Nope.)

Staying at the cabin is very relaxing. At least after I gave up the skiing thing. (I strongly believe that you should not struggle to be good at something you so OBVIOUSLY were not meant to do.) My father-in-law has built the place himself, and it is one of those REAL MOUNTAIN CABINS that do not have access to water, and we got electricity only a few years back.


Due to the lack of plumbing, the toilet facilities are "somewhat exotic", but as you can see from the picture above, we tend to keep a certain (royal) standard nonetheless. Having photos of royalty out in the outhouse is an ancient tradition in Norway, dating back to WWII, when Norwegians kept a photo of their beloved king in the outhouse as that was the only place where the stupid Germans did not dare go (you do not visit these places if you do not have "business" there, I assure you).

In spite of walking around slightly constipated (being such a chicken, I rarely go to the above mentioned place after dark) for close to a week, with greasy hair - I really do enjoy my Easter holidays up here. It is extremely care-free and relaxing, and the questions to worry about are pretty basic:
  • When should we eat again, and what
  • Is it too early to sit down on the terrace with a glass of rosĂ© (what will the neighbors say?)
  • Will I be able to sleep tonight if I have another nap, like, right NOW?
  • Who should be the dealer for the next card game (SO not me, I suck at shuffling cards)
Aaaah. The weather looks nice and it is almost noon. I think a glass on the the terrace RIGHT NOW might be a good idea. Chablis, anyone?

PS. The ice broke on the river below the cabin yesterday, so in case we are not able to cross tomorrow afternoon, I guess I'll see you again in June, when the road opens.....

No comments:

Post a Comment