Saturday, April 30, 2011

Royal flush


Sneakers from Onitsuka Tiger (Asics). Not really the correct attire for such a royal weekend, but a girl needs to be practical sometimes.

I had it all lined up for Friday afternoon. My tiara was polished and ready. My Jimmy Choo strappy gold sandals were waiting on my bedside table. Mr. Incredible had scheduled the recording of the entire royal wedding for me on our PVR, before he went away for his annual soccer binge with the guys to Leeds (!). And I was picking up some pink champagne on my way home to meet up with my sister.

Unfortunately, things do not always turn out the way they are supposed to. I tried to schedule all meetings early in the day so that I could leave early to at least see SOME of the wedding live, but no. My message of "I need to leave the office by noon on Friday" was somehow suddenly interpreted as "Could I have that important client meeting postponed from 10 to noon on Friday". I seem to have some difficulties getting through to people sometimes. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

So, instead of a glamorous Friday night spent with my sister sipping champagne and watching the union of William and "Waitie-Katie", it was spent with my sister - and a grilled chicken. By the time I got home from the office at six, my whole wedding mood was gone. Having a history of being a bit of a "Watie-Katie" myself, waiting ten long years for Mr. Incredible to FINALLY pop the question, I had really been looking forward to this wedding. Now all I got out of it was laughing hysterically at the wedding monogram of William and Catherine. W and C. WC. Classy.

The royal weekend did not end with the wedding. Saturday was the Dutch "Queen's Day" or "Konninginnedag". This day might not be so special to most Norwegians, but having a sister that used to be an exchange student at the University of Leiden - this day has become yet another perfectly plausible excuse for getting drunk.

We had all the ingredients:
  • Oranjebitter (weird Dutch remedy)
  • Poffertjes (mini pancakes)
  • Good company (me, sister, Ben & Jerry)
  • Sunny weather
I had one glass of the bitter, before I completely overdosed on icecream. And spent the rest of the evening on the sofa, recovering from my serious case of "brain freeze" and watching the Norwegian equivalent to "Saturday Night Live". We even forgot to eat the pancakes.

At 11 PM, I completed the changes on my tax returns online. An hour before the deadline.

What a party animal I am. Is this what it is like being an adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment