Sunday, September 19, 2010

London calling


These have been my signature boots for years, and I have killed something around six pairs of these over the years. They are from a Norwegian high-street brand, Bianco. Used to love their shoes, but now that they have decided NOT to make my favorite boots anymore, they are no longer my friends.

Crazy day at work on Friday. Very typical when you plan on leaving early. Missed the train. Was stopped in airport security as they did not like the Norwegian brown goat cheese in my handbag (gift). Was able to withdraw GBP, buy headset for iPhone and pick up a bottle of bubbly from tax free - all in less than five minutes. Boarded plane on final call, still on the phone with work. Always great to start your weekend with your shoulders level with your earlobes. Wheew. Good thing I had treated myself to a ticket in economy extra and had free access to champagne. At this time I wish they had it on tap. With a hose going straight to seat 6A.

Catching up on our lives the last six months over dinner at Plateau, Canary Wharf. Raspberry and passion fruit martinis at Roka after. Very pleased to discover that friend´s new apartment was straight on the Thames - just like her previous ones, with an amazing view.

Lazy Saturday breakfast talking about some real important aspects of life, including the flowers and the bees and toilet habits. Upped the glamour factor a bit by "flying" over to Bond Street in my friend´s Porsche for some shopping. Spend my usual hour-or-so in Marina Rinaldi. Like their autumn collection quite a lot this year, but was somehow able to keep to self-imposed austerity measures (at least, to some extent). Then - queuing up at Apple Store. Left the store with a huge smile and two iPads. Finally.

Lunch at Hush, then back to the apartment for a nap. Shopping really is exhausting. Or was it yesterday´s martinis getting the best of us?

Met up with The Duke of Pembridge (another close London-based friend) at E&O, on his home turf in Notting Hill. Awfully cool place. Must have been a bit tipsy already, as I actually ATE the squid put in front of me. Finished the evening at Home House, a private club in Marylebone. Really appreciate having friends with memberships to such incredible places.

Tried having Sunday brunch in Pret-a-Manger, before doing some last-minute shopping. Was able to eat one single Swedish meatball, and it was coming back up to greet me for hours after. Then it is nice to know that you have at least an hour in a taxi ahead of you to get to the airport. With some driver that loves swimming in his cologne before going to work.

Heathrow has never been on my list of favorite airports. Especially when you arrive a bit later than planned, and need to get your shopping stamped by customs. I might not be the most frugal person, but at least I always take the tax off before flying home. It was SO not my plan that there would be a full flight to Osaka with hoards of LV- and Gucci-loving Japanese people in the same line. Had to cut my losses and go straight to security. Was lucky to get the papers stamped after security.

I hate coming home to an empty apartment. Called NY and woke up very jet-lagged husband in the middle of his afternoon nap. Not a good move. It is a good thing I have my new iPad to keep me company.

By the way, this might come as a huge disappointment to you all, but I did not even try on a single shoe while in London. I am not sure if I am starting to loose it, but even Jimmy Choo could not tempt me this time. And I only read about the new "Shoe Heaven" (opening in Selfridges this weekend) at the time when I was safely back in the airport on Sunday. A bit of a bummer, but I think it was probably all for the best.








No comments:

Post a Comment