Saturday, January 01, 2011

Alcoholics Synonymous

New Year's Eve! Big party on the yacht. Amazing to see all the other yachts anchored in the same bay. Unfortunately, my camera is no good in the dark, but you get an idea by looking at the late afternoon photo. As you can see, it was quite crowded.


The evening started with a special Asian gourmet dinner in the dining salon with Barbie and Ken (which are - of course - NOT their real names). Guess who turned up at dinner once again? Yes! Mr. Perignon! Only, this time he brought along his identical twin brother. Yay!

After dinner we joined the Asian theme party at the top of the yacht. It was already well on it's way when we arrived. People we practically SWIMMING in champagne up there. I guess this is where the French term for the old-fashioned wide/flat glass type "piscine de champagne" comes from, as "piscine" means "pool". You know what we say when we take a portrait picture these days? "Champiiiiiiiiis!". The good-old "say cheese" to get people to smile for a photo just does not do it around here.


And then Dom's brothers kept turning up. The sommelier surely had one busy night. In total we were introduced to six members of Dom's family (I think we are on first-name basis after that, even though Monsieur Perignon IS French).


In the end, I guess I did resemble the koala bear on my dear husband's shirt here. Only being under the Caribbean Champagne Tree rather than the Australian Beer Tree. Very cute, I know. But as you see in the picture, I was not alone. There was both a kangaroo and a sheep there as well. I believe we had a lot of fun. You know, we even danced The Macarena! Ehrm. And The Ketchup Dance. Oops.


I guess this would be the perfect occasion to use some of the new words I have learnt on this trip. Travel really helps broaden your horizons. You see, when you are on a ship with a lot of English-speaking passengers, you tend to pick up a word or two. Within my first twenty minutes on the yacht, I had already learnt FIVE new words for "drunk" from a British group that were on a mission to really enjoy themselves.

Knackered.
Hammered.
Blind.
Plastered.
Sloshed.

By the end of the trip I had learnt at least ten more.

Happy new year!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Gustavia, St. Barthelemy, French West Indies

No comments:

Post a Comment