Thursday, January 06, 2011

Mister Cab Driver

Running out of winter shoes..... I really miss my sandals now.

Today I had the weirdest morning. Absolutely SURREAL. I drove Mister Incredible to work, and arrived early at (Norwegian version of) Big Oil as I had quite a busy day ahead of me. Then I suddenly had to go back into town again on some urgent business (I guess I should point out that this was by no means the January shoe sales. Really.). So I decided to leave my car in the car park and take a cab back in, as traffic was really heavy, and it had started snowing.

I was overjoyed just to be able to get hold of a cab in this weather, so I got in, and very soon we were driving on the outer ring road. I sit comfortably in the back seat, writing an SMS, when I hear the cab driver:

"Ohmigod-ohmigod..."

BANG.

I saw it all in slow-motion, as a car hit us from behind/on the side. My first car accident. Ironically enough it happens on a day when I leave my own car parked temporarily as I feel it is SAFER to catch a cab. Just. Great.

And then I feel my neck stiffen on the left side, where the car hit us. Please.

The cab driver finally took me to the next gas station, but could not get hold of another car for me there, so he drove towards the next taxi stand. On the way, he flagged down another cab by honking at it ferociously. It stopped. Only to tell us that he had just discovered that he had a FLAT TYRE. So he could not take me. What are the odds of THAT?

Finally, we reach the taxi stand, and - lucky me - I got one of the many cab drivers with a degree in PSYCHOLOGY. After hearing the story about my splendid start to the day, he decided that most neck injuries, are - in fact - NOT REAL. No, they are psychosomatic, and generally appear because we EXPECT them to. Ain't that swell? I immediately EXPECTED the pain to go away. But, since there might be a reason this guy is really driving a cab, and NOT doing 200-USD-an-hour psycholigical consultations, I do think he MIGHT be wrong in his assumptions. I don't know. Just a hunch.

To be on the safe side, I went to see my physician. He did not find anything seriously wrong with my neck. However, I must EXPECT to look a bit British for a few days now, as I may not be able to turn my head to the left without moving my whole body that way, too. Jolly good! I guess I am allowed to have a glass of red wine on Friday night. No, sorry, I guess we will have to make that PORT wine. Solely for medicinal purposes, of course.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment