Thursday, January 27, 2011

Is this your dog?


Just got back from Copenhagen. Partner training with Oracle. I almost managed to stick to my new principle established just before Christmas, that I will never again stay more than 10 minutes on Danish soil before I bite into a red hot-dog. I missed it by merely two minutes this time, only due to a very urgent visit to the little girls' room on my way to the baggage claim area. Where the first hot-dog stand is located. I simply love Denmark! Anyway. I guess I should adjust my time limit to 15 minutes, to allow for such basic needs to be met. I have no desire to be known as "the-girl-who-wet-herself-while-eating-a-hot-dog".

I have noticed a new trend this week. Nowadays, it is apparently perfectly ok for taxi drivers to be speaking on the phone - during the entire ride. I quite enjoy listening in on other people's conversations, but when they are in a very (!) foreign language, it can also be kinda scary. As you get only parts of the picture, and then you have to imagine the rest. For instance, in Oslo, I overheard this one (please feel free to replace whatever Panjabi you may know with my "blahblah"):

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla -BESØKSFORBUD*-bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

WHAT the F***?! Did I just hear that? In the middle of all of that blabla? Who got the restraining order? The driver? Ohmygodohmygod. I was pretty happy to arrive at my destination after that one. You really do not want to know all the thoughts that ran through my head after that ONE WORD.

On my way to Copenhagen from the airport, I got:

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla  bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla - LUFTHAVNEN** - bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

That one is fine. Of course, he was just telling his buddy about this really HOT BLONDE that he had just picked up at the airport. Cool. Still, I wonder. When they have a phrase for "hot blonde" in Panjabi, why is there no word for something as common as "airport"? Are there more hot blondes than airports where these guys come from? Maybe.

Cute hotel in Copenhagen, especially for a business trip. It was extremely ecological, and the smell of insence hit you like a wall when you entered. They did not even have wireless internet. As I guess that could cause inbalances in your chakras. Or whatever. It was pretty much full of what my hero Cartman (South Park) would refer to as "all a bunch of hippie-crap". But. Oh. So. Stylish.

I must tell you what a good girl I have been on this trip, though. The only shopping was a new tax-free hot pink lipstick on my way out of Oslo. And - of course - my MANDATORY tax-free quota (four bottles of Louis Roederer, the "little brother" of Crystal) on my way home. But wine does not count.

This was a near-miss though. As I almost got into a cat-fight with a woman in the Burberry shop at Kastrup. Over a HANDBAG. A BURBERRY handbag - if I might add. At 50% off. In the end, I let her buy it. She was bigger than me, so she could easily have kicked my behind. And, by the way, I recently had my nails done. She just was not worth a possible nail breakage. Of, course, I gave her my very worst version of the evil eye. Before MARCHING out of the shop. With my lovely LV roll-aboard in tow. Hah! Just watch me NOT care. When someone as innocently looking as myself gives you the evil eye, I promise that it makes quite an impression. I hope she will remember that look every time she looks at her gorgeous handbag. Bitch.

I was not randomly picked for a manual security search at the airport on my way home tonight. And it was kind of a disappointment. I guess I have been home alone too long. Good thing Mr. Incredible will be back tomorrow night. I even miss watching soccer on TV now.

* Restraining order (in Norwegian)
** The Airport (in Danish)

No comments:

Post a Comment