Friday, May 13, 2011

Greece goes shopping again


I am a very responsible person. So in between sightseeing, lunch at Tao, more sightseeing and dinner at Robert De Niro's TriBeCa Grill, I felt I had to spend most of my Friday in Macy's at Herald Square. Supporting the weak US economy with my Norwegian oil money.

I am used to the fact that restaurant employees in the US often work mostly for tips. What I never seem to get used to is that shop assistants in certain stores seem to work mostly on sales provisions.

I returned to Macy's after lunch for round two of my shopping (ding!) and could not find my "friend" from this morning, Janet. So, I started trying on some additional stuff with the help of another shop assistant, the lovely Sandra.

After trying on most of the Lauren by Ralph Lauren range, and deciding once and for all that orange is not and will never be my color - however fashionable, I went over to the register to pay for the items put aside during my morning session, together with all my new great finds.

Guess who suddenly turns up on the shop floor? "Heeeere's Janet!"

Janet swiftly picks up all my items and rushes to a counter at the end of the store. Where Sandra shortly after turns up and starts loudly badmouthing her colleague to everybody that cares to listen.

I felt like an idiot. I do not want people to fight. There should be something in the guide books on how to handle situations like this. Should I have divided my purchases in two for them to split the provision? And then have to stand there waiting FOREVER while they did their extremely time consuming "putting-a-small-sticker-on-every-price-tag" routine? In two separate rounds? In that case, I would still be in the shop!

Oh, life can be difficult sometimes.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment